Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dear Diabetes;

Do you know what tomorrow is? I bet you don't even remember. Well, tomorrow is the 15 year anniversary of the day that everyone realised that it was YOU trying to kick my butt. Tomorrow is 15 years since the war began. And what a war it has been.

You know, at times, you have nearly won. Nearly. But every time, I have come up trumps. Sure, you have won battles at times. You've made me so ill that the doctors have gathered around my bed in panic. You've made me so ill that my parents have said goodbye. But each time, I've rallied my supporters around me, and we have won. You think that you can beat me on your own. What a joke. Don't you see, when you look at me, that I have a far bigger, far more powerful army that you could ever hope for?

I have my mum and dad. I have my siblings, although I know at times you like to steal them for a day or two. I have my friends. I have God. Yup, I see you there, cowering in the corner, shaking at the thought of all my supporters kicking your butt. Really, I don't understand why you keep trying. These sneaky late night attacks, you never expect me to wake up and use shock weaponry against you. The juice and insulin are on MY side. So are the needles and fingerpricks, as hard as you find that to believe. Them "hurting" me at times? It's a farce, to make you think you are stronger than me. Ha!

Actually, I need to be truthful. Sometimes, you have been stronger than me. Sometimes you have played with my body, my mind, my heart. Sometimes you have made me believe that I am on YOUR side of the fence, and I have fought against myself, causing more damage than you ever could alone. But always, always, one or another of my supporters, a member of my army, has rescued me, counselled me, and brought me back to the right team. Team Kit.

You've played with the hearts of my supporters, too. Do you think I havent seen my mum and dad cry at times, at the vicious attacks you have launched? Well, I have. And each time, your plan has backfired, because each attack makes us a stronger army, more willing and eager to fight against you and kick your butt.

I bet you never thought, 15 years ago when you started this fight, that I would be sitting here today laughing in your face. You thought that you had me beat that first day, as the doctors succumbed to your lies and told my family I wouldn't make it. You never, not for a second, believe that I had the strength to fight. You were so wrong.

I bet you never thought that, in our efforts to beat you, so many of us would become friends. That so many people, from all over the globe, of all ages and genders would band together to fight against you, forming friendships and relationships you can only marvel at. You get none of that.

You see, Diabetes, I have you figured out. You use sneak tactics. You try and fight. But you are nowhere near as smart or strong as you like to think.

You suck, I rule.

You lose, I win.

Game over.

8 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Great post Kitter.

Carly said...

Hi Katie. Congrats on making it to 15 years. I haven’t talked to you a lot, but you’ve been through so much and it’s great you’ve come this far.

~Carly.

Nicole P said...

A great post, K. And an accomplishment worth celebrating - living well with this disease isn't easy - and that's what you're doing! Thinking of you today... :)

Anonymous said...

Katie, as a good friend of mine says, "You kick ass and take names." I think that quote applied to your post.

I love your attitude. Congrats on 15 years.

Kerri. said...

Here's to you, marking 15 years with grace.

Unknown said...

Just keep laughing at it Kit. The critter won't give up, you know that, but keeping one step ahead of it is sure worth it!

Good on ya girl!

meanderings said...

Thanks for commenting at meanderings. I found your blog! It's great and thoughtful and fun to read. I love the rooster syrup dispenser note on your profile.

Anonymous said...

Me too, I'm called diabetic. How often do you monitor your blood sugar level?