Saturday, July 19, 2008

Trickery, Deception, and D

I was thinking, sometimes with Diabetes, it seems that no matter what we do, or how hard we try, no matter how vigilant we are, and how much we do things "by the book", we just can't get it right. Diabetes always has some trick up its sleeve, some secret weapon to throw us off.

Take this week for example...

I've got a wisdom tooth that needs to come out. Its broken, the nerve is exposed, and its giving me major grief... I spent several hours the other evening curled up in bed, going between dozing and crying, high on painkillers. Well, my sugars are way out of whack because of it. I woke up high yesterday morning, no ketones, bg 23.7 mmol/l (427 mg/dl), ran to the toilet and vomited. Got ready for work, was about to leave, bg was "down" to 19.8 (356), and had to run and puke again. All due to pain and infection in this tooth. I was injecting all day to try and get it down... and every time it seemed it was dropping, it would shoot back up again. Finally hit 11.7 (211) at bedtime, and slept through until 8am... when I woke up 18.3 (329). Not a happy camper here. Well, because i had been so high all the day before, and was needing nearly double my correction ratio, I decided to up my lantus a little, and give a slightly increased correction. I took 10% more lantus, and did 25% more on the rapid... and 3 hrs later, was 5.5 (99). Great!!!! Until, 20 mins later, was dizzy, shaky... didn't even test, just had some juice (17g). 20 mins later, was feeling like death! You know the deal... can't focus, legs don't work, sweaty, hot, teary... test... 1.7 (31)!!!! Aaaargh!!!!

Of course, i scoffed another 20g of carb down (juice), and another 20 mins later was 1.5 (27)... so kept going with juice - test - juice until I hit 4.6 (83), at which point I collasped onto the bed for a nap... and just woke up 22.2 (400).

So it looks like D is playing those games of trickery and deception again. Anyone got a fully functional pancreas they'd be happy to donate??

2 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

That sounds miserable Kit!

Mortis said...

goodness Kit, Hope you get that tooth pulled soon, and I hope you feel better.